Strengthening the food, health, and consumer product sector will ensure Canadians can continue to find the products they need at prices they can afford, as well as power much-needed investment, innovation, jobs, and growth.
We cannot achieve this ambitious vision of a stronger, more resilient Canada without the support of government as a proactive, engaged partner committed to the future of this vital sector.
We are pleased to put forward the following recommendations for consideration for the upcoming 2021 Budget:
- Support companies/essential businesses operating during the pandemic. Specifically (a) implement a tax credit to offset pandemic-related costs; and (b) implement the labour and skills recommendations outlined in the Industry Strategy Council report.
- Pause non-essential regulatory work not related to COVID-19.
- Legislate economic growth and competitiveness considerations into regulator mandates.
- Develop a common framework that provinces and territories could use in their efforts to enact an enforceable UK-style code of conduct to address the unfair and unethical business practices of large grocery retailers in Canada.
- Implement a National Self-Care Strategy for Canada to increase Canadians' capacity to take care of themselves; save time, money, and resources; and make our publicly funded healthcare system more sustainable.
Read our 2021 Submission to Finance Canada's Pre-Budget Consultations
Read our full advocacy platform (Francais)
Read FCPC's pre-budget submission in advance of the 2021 Federal Budget and CHP Canada's pre-budget submission in advance of the 2021 Federal Budget